A Taste of West Cork is Ireland’s longest running food festival and is the best opportunity hundreds of local producers have to get in front of people who are passionate about food.
The aim of this competition is to give Home Economic students the opportunity so showcase their culinary skills using West Cork Produce and with a limited budget. Previous judges have been Roy Brett, Ondine Restaurant Edinburgh and Tim Anderson, winner of Master Chef UK 2011.
A Taste of West Cork Schools Cookery Competition is sponsored by Glenilen Farm, Drimoleague
Date : Tuesday 9th September 2014
Venue : Mercy Heights, Home Economics Room, Skibbereen
Entry Requirements : 3rd or 4th Year Home Economic Students (in 2013/14 academic year)
Clare Gallagher 0858885293 email@example.com
1. A team of two students must cook a meal in one and a half hours consisting of a starter and main course or main course and dessert.
2. Please emphasise West Cork products - such as sourced from the local market, fish shop, butcher, garden or farm.
3. The budget is €15.00 however, you can use sponsored or donated food to supplement your budget.
4. Each team must prepare a story board on their produce and what they used: labels, packaging, photos of producers, use the internet, etc.
5. Each team must present their meal to the judges as if they were in a restaurant setting i.e. table display: candles, flowers, nice crockery, glasses etc use your imagination.
6. Each team must produce a ‘restaurant’ menu for the judges, worded using the produce name, for example : Skeaghnore Duck or Gubbeen Cheese or Union Hall
Prizes awarded as follows:
• First Prize : Value of €100
• Second Prize : Value of €80
• Third Prize : Value of €60
• Best Display Board
• Best Use of West Cork Produce
• Best Cooking skills
• Best Creative Menu
• Best Presentation
• Best Value For Money
10.30 am: Arrival and set up
(Refreshments served for teachers while students are cooking)
11.00 Start Cooking (one and half hours allocated)
Preparation, cooking and presentation
(Refreshments will be served for students when they have finished cooking)
12.300 – 1.30 Judging
1.30 – 2.00 Prize giving
Clare Gallagher, A Taste of West Cork Food Festival
Eithne McCarthy, Artisan Food Producer
Celebrity Chef (name to be confirmed)
Venue : Jeffs Wood Fired Pizzeria
Date: Saturday 13 September 2014
Time: 12,30 -
Booking: 028 23544
Children of all ages are invited to Jeff’s Wood Fired Pizza to create their own pizzas, selecting an array of toppings and cheeses, then watch the pizzas bake in the wood-fired oven.